Sunday, January 30, 2011

"Not the whole forest - just one leaf." - P.L. Travers

I need a better desk! My back hurts and I was only drawing for half a day. Desk-Donations welcome :)
So now I'm busy sketching for my illustration assignment where we have to make four illustrations for David Sedaris' short story "True Detective" (Sedaris remembers the days his mother and sister played armchair detective, and the odd crime wave that hit their own home.)
I'm trying to do something different to what I'm usually doing - sitting on the couch and doing sudoku. Just kidding! I created a main character and I let him do stuff :) It's new to me to make comic-like drawings but when I see that I'm creating something that looks like the picture in my head, I wanna go on and on and it satisfies me and keeps me drawing (although my back HURTS!!!) but today, drawing felt so easy and it gave me a sense of achievement. Here's hoping, it stays like that for a while and I maybe cleared another hurdle (can you say that? I can...!) in my learning process.
See what my teacher thinks about my sketches tomorrow and then I have a week to finish the assignment. Have to layout the illustrations with the text and bind a book. First finish the illustrations and maybe I get some help with layouting because I'm not too good in making a choice for a professional looking typeface :)
Furthermore I'll spend the next to weeks in the graphic workshop at school to silk screen some monster wallpapers I made for drawing class - it's honestly the best place to be in stressful times!
Enough for today, maybe I do some stretching instead of sketching to make friends with my back again... (what a crappy word joke...)
I'm happy! :)
***

first sketches for the character (hmm - looks slightly like a friend of mine - see if he notices :)


uuuhhhgh there is poo on my towel...!

The Fugitive

mother and sister, the detective series addicts

Stay tuned to see the finished illustrations next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment